17 October 2009
Permanent Fish
It has come to a stage where I have to drag my eyes with very heavy eyelids off my homework to blog. Of course the easier alternative would be to stop blogging but then when I look back on how much I've written over the years, it's like flushing them down the toilet bowl.
So here I am, all geared up with ideas to blog.
I'm gonna try to blog at least once a month. That's a promise. You see, at the position I'm in now, my words need to be credible. Otherwise, my trusty vice-chair will stop calling me 'boss'. I didn't know how she got that idea of calling me that, but it sure does feel
I'm having a fairly good month. My dad forwarded to me a link to a recording of my cousin singing, unplugged. I replied him saying that my aunt must be a very proud mother (she was the one who sent the link to my dad in the first place) and really, she has every reason to feel that way. You know what my dad reply me?
Before revealing the answer, I must point out that both my mom and dad are the sort of parents who're stingy, in terms of compliments, with their children. Now, on to the answer. He wrote, I quote, "your dad has no complains on his daughter's achievements either!!". See what I mean? I took that statement as a subtle of saying "my daughter's a superstar also!!!".
So yeah, that mail came in early October and immediately brighten up my weeks ahead.
Then more happy things followed. Yours truly successfully donated blood earlier this week! After failing the Holy Blue Solution Test last year, I thought that Wednesday morning would be a good day for me to ace the test. In actual fact, I didn't ace it. Probably just a C+. Because my droplet of blood stayed undecided halfway through the beaker (again!!) for about 10 seconds or so, before finally hitting the bottom, like reluctantly. It was a major suspense moment, but nonetheless an elated blood donator at the end of the day.
While I was prepping myself mentally for the blood harvesting, one lady from the blood bank (from hereon refered to as BBL or blood bank lady) approached me with a syringe in hand, all ready to inject some unknown chemical into me. Out of curiosity (and concern for my wellbeing), I asked her what was in the syringe. Because I could very well recall my previous donation and it did NOT involved any syringe with a needle of THAT size attached being served to me. And the conversation went:
BBL : This is anesthetics.
Me : Really?
BBL : Yes. It is just a small amount so don't worry.
Me : Ok. But why do I need this?
BBL : Oh, that's the policy here.
Me : I'd donated before in Malaysia and they didn't give me this leh.
BBL : I think only Singapore has this. Other countries like US and Philippines don't need.
Me : Interesting. What makes Singapore so special?
BBL : You know the people, they need to be pampered. And you know kiasu right?
Me : Yah, I get you (loud and clear).
So in order to avoid the pain during the harvesting, I have to endure the pain when applying the anesthetic instead? Wow, not a bad idea at all. I have to say that while the injection of anesthetic was way past the mosquito-bite pain (to the extent that some people might not be able to get pass this stage), what happened after that was very well worth the unpleasantness. Let's just say that I observed the whole poke-in-plug-out-of-vein with a much bigger needle without the slightest flinch. Nice, that area of my arm was in such a deep sleep in a matter of seconds.
The whole saga (from registration to free milo) took less than half an hour, partly because I was one of the earliest.
And this led to another very random but one of the happy things that happened this month. Because the donation finished well ahead of time, I managed to catch the lunchtime concert featuring this a cappella group all the way from Japan. One word - awesomness. They weren't really famous but with their looks and vocals, and if they were doing pop music, they would've been the next DBSK. They call themselves Permanent Fish. I know, it's a weird combination of words.
Anyway, it was a free campus concert and I was sitting there thinking that I wouldn't mind paying 20 dollars or so to attend their concert. And then it happened. Right after the concert, one lady announced that they were having a ticketed concert that evening itself, with tickets going at half the original price of $30!
OMG how can I not go right?? In the end I went with a few other friends, all of them bought their albums and we all went back happily with their signatures.

Have a good weekend y'all!
Labels: The Educatee, The Oddball
posted by: JYLing @ 11:29 AM
+ + +
Loading...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home