31 December 2009
Best of '09
Changing blogger skin is such a pain in the rear. My site's traffic tracker recorded over 140 pageloads for the day, when there were only 11 unique visitors. And the skin's not even seasoned with sugar and spices.
Anyway, it's done. Frustration begone!
As 2009 comes to an end with leftover turkeys and hams from christmas, it's once again a good time to look back and reflect over the year, over a cuppa. Good news for you, my dear readers, because I'll be ditching the crappy annual award thing. Awards are so yesteryear please.
Actually, this post is catered more for the future 30-year-old me to laugh at the present self. But nevermind, I believe it shall serve to satisfy that bit of kaypohness in everyone as well.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you my 5 highlights of 2009, in chronological order.
1) Eleganza 2009 - 22nd, 23rd February
Lots of pianists I know of, especially those in my piano ensemble, have experienced performing for a ticketed concert in their teens. I had none but not anymore.
- Five Fun Facts:
- I performed with a sprained neck on the second night of the 2-day concert. That was after I took a steroid jab on the bum in that morning.
- If not for the crammed piano room at our campus, I wouldn't have met my piano partner. We were forced to share a piece of music score on our first meeting and the ball just keeps rolling since then.
- One of my friends chose the black dress I wore on both nights. I bought it at a mall along Orchard Road. Same goes for the heels.
- My parents came down from KL to watch me.
- I sold more than 10 tickets for the concert. In the end, I paid for 2 by myself because the 2 couldn't make it.
2) Distant World - Music from Final Fantasy - 23rd May
I was and am still a girl who's not fond of wishlist. Even as I blew out the candles on my birthday cakes over the years, I wished for nothing but happiness. Well ok, except that one time when I wished for loads of toys but hey, I was a kid afterall.
Being at a live Final Fantasy concert is one of my to-do's ever since I was hooked on the Japanese RPG series. I said to myself that I would at least travel to Japan once to catch its concert, or at least when the music decides to tour and have a stop at South East Asia.
- Five Fun Facts:
- There was a Cloud cosplayer at the concert. I wanted to take a photo with him but was too shy to.
- I went over to Singapore in the morning and flew back to KL the same day, amidst the swine flu season.
- I met the man behind the music and got his signature.
- I chose to buy a t-shirt as a memorabilia instead of a CD from the concert because I thought I could download the CD for free but the shirt, you couldn't get it anywhere else.
- The queue for the signature was so long that the officials had to cut the queue halfway. Which resulted in a lobby full of angry and disappointed fans.
3) First paycheque - July
I wrote about my experience working as a piano teacher earlier. I've taught music to a number of people while I was in my secondary school but it felt weird that I was actually paid to do it. A good job to keep me occupied during the holidays, nonetheless.
- Five Fun Facts:
- I was introduced to the job through Yen's friend.
- My 'clients' were as young as 5 to as old as over 50. Or 60, perhaps.
- The only stressful point was when I was forced to teach pop piano, which I have no knowledge in. I still think it is unethical for the centre to have done so.
- One of my students, a lady old enough for me to address her by 'popo', complimented on my manners. The previous teacher had very bad temper and was disrespectful, said she.
- There was this cute person working over the counter at the music centre ;) Only on weekdays though.
4) The Roomie - since August
If you know me personally, you would've probably noticed that hint of excitement in my voice at the mention of my roomie. I don't know. Maybe it's cos we have some things in common. Maybe not.
The Five Fun Facts will serve to explain that phenomenon.
- Five Fun Facts:
- This lady is in the first cohort of the Sports Science and Management programme, which was launched this academic year.
- What sports do you play, I asked. Basketball, said she. Also a player of the university's handball team and our hall's netball team.
- The lady's into photography and has a dry cabinet in our room. Too bad we wouldn't be sharing lenses. She's a canon, I'm a nikon.
- I have shorter hair, she wears looser shirts. The only top I've seen her in are t-shirts. Oh, and tank tops too ;)
- More often than not, the lady would get up from whatever she's doing, even from bed at times, and lock the door for me when I'm leaving the room. I'm attempting to do the same for her and make a habit out of it.
5) Mathematics of Finance - sat on 8th December
Everything was great, until that last day of exam.
- Five Fun Facts:
- This core module comes in a package consisting of one spectacled tutor and strings of numbers that are so long, I've grown accustomed to putting in commas to make them easier to read.
- I suspect that one helluva tutor of mine has an undying love for cargo pants and polo tees, which is quite alright by me. I mean, at least I know what clothes to avoid for her tutorials
- The tutor was so kind that she gave us a list on the topics from which the exam questions were set. There were 5 long questions, and she gave us 5 chapters. I can assure you that you can safely throw away the said list and suffer no loss. Because it is utterly useless.
- The minute I finished the exam paper for that subject, I wanted to cry. But of course, I didn't. I messaged my dad and told him that I might fail the paper. Simply because it was the most difficult paper I've ever sat in my life. And I expect more of those for the remaining 3 semesters.
- She sent my class this to console us after the paper. How sweet.
And there you have it. My 2009 in 5. I hope yours was as good, if not better.
Have a happy 2010!
Labels: The Educatee, The Musician
posted by: JYLing @ 11:34 PM
+ + +


Loading...
2 Comments:
Happy New Year~~~ Good luck in 2010!!!! Take care =D
Yan~~~!
Same to you =D
Post a Comment
<< Home