Home

Second July


13 January 2009

Monologue

I started my very first sketch book a few days ago and was really surprised that I managed to sketch and write for one whole page in less than an hour. Was satisfied with the results somehow =)

Being someone that's never good at sketching or just being plain creative, I was wondering whether to regift it when I got it from one of the christmas gifts exchange last year. It was wrapped in plastic and when they told me it is a sketchbook, I never thought that a book that looks so elegant (it's purely black with leathery cover) on the outside would contain pages without lines at all, until it was unwrapped just recently. Yes, now I know when they say it's a sketchbook, that means it's a book with blank pages. Nothing at all.

Initially, I really did not know what to do with this sketchbook. It was unwrapped with the plan that it could be used as a personal diary or that sort. Upon finding out that it contains zero lines, it didn't make sense to me to just write and not make use of the emptiness of the (possibly high quality) grainy pages. The texture obviously meant for sketching.

So I googled to find out what do people actually do with a sketchbook, and the purpose of it. It is a place to record written as well as visual information, says here.

True enough, starting on a new sketchbook is hard but that link over there provided lots of ideas on what to do with the empty leaves. At the end of the page (of that link), it says "...just draw. Anything. Make it meaningful for you".

And draw I did.

I've decided to make the book personal. Not that I can prevent people from secretly reading it but as a last note, you can poke your noses into any of my books but not this one. I didn't make any effort to hide it - just underneath my pillow, which is a good place because thoughts and radical ideas usually come in hoards when I'm about to sleep.

Not that you can interpret my drawings anyway but oh well, just pretend you didn't see it if you were to bump into it.

Labels: The Materialist

posted by: JYLing @ 9:37 PM


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful~ I shall come and ransack and accidentally bump into it and the wind accidentally blew it open and my eyes accidentally look at it :)

January 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM 
Blogger JYLing said...

You think you'll have another chance to slack on my bed huh???
That will probably happen until I slack on yours first ok~ hahaha

January 15, 2009 at 12:42 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never thought I'd see the day when ljy will draw again. seeing as how ur d studying type. lol

January 18, 2009 at 9:47 PM 
Blogger JYLing said...

Haha, yah, I was a bit reluctant to use the book at first. But hey, my drawing skills is still with me =P

January 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ + +

Categories

  • The Athelete
  • The Dark One
  • The Educatee
  • The Materialist
  • The Musician
  • The Oddball
  • The Snapper
  • The Sociable
  • The Taggee

Wander



Calendar

Loading...
 Loading...


Credits

+ Blogger.com
+ Simple-Blogskins

Murmurs

↑ Grab This Widget




© 2010 Second July