17 August 2008
Commit
DAMN THE FLER WHO LOCKS THE MUSIC ROOM.
It's been locked using a key for 2 days.
Shit. How to practise for my audition on Tuesday?!!
*******
Frustration aside, Dragonboat Experience on Saturday rox. Seriously.
Now that I think back, when I decide to join a CCA, it's always those not for the norm. Hence, I end up signing up alone. First was my high school band. I did managed to pull someone to come along with me but she quitted after like the first or second practice. Good thing was the seniors were very welcoming - they made sure that there'll always be people sitting on my left and right during practises, which is a hard arrangement, considering the fact that I'm the first one in my batch that year to join their practises. And I left the band with more friends than I could've ever imagine.
Now, Dragonboat gives me a sense of déjà vu. None of the people I know is interested in it and on Saturday after the Experience, I had to travel back alone from Kallang (their on-water training base outside campus) to Boon Lay, which is 17 MRT stations away. Thank god for MRT.
While travelling alone, I was wondering if my parents could accept me doing this, as in travelling alone. For the past 18 years or so, they have never let me wander on the streets alone. Ok, I've never tried asking them if I could do so but I assume they'll say no anyway. Shopping mall, yes. Busy streets of KL, hell no. Overprotective parents, I know. But I really appreciate the way they are and have grown to love the protection. It's more like a privillege lah sometimes, with the chaffeuring that comes along the package.
I expect them blah blih blah about how I should follow the crowd or ask some seniors to bring me to the station but oh well, I think I'll skip that part when I skype with them the next time. Not knowing exactly where the nearest MRT station is, I did some walking and turning backs. At the same time, I actually felt like an adult (with a kiddy figure).
The other point is, joining Dragonboat and TP band is similar in many ways. First, to truly enjoy the activities, you have to be fully committed in the family. Each and everyone plays a role. That is something I find very exciting compared to, say, in an academic club where you're just a normal member and they can do well with or without you. It makes no difference.
Secondly, their training hours scare people off. The band, in the most extreme conditions, requires practices 3 days a week, at times totalling over 12 hours. Normal small-time clubs only require an average 2-hour meeting every week. The Dragonboat team has a total of 10 hours of practise a week, if I'm not wrong.
I'm still thinking if I'll be able to fully commit, just like what I did for the band.
Now that I think back, when I decide to join a CCA, it's always those not for the norm. Hence, I end up signing up alone. First was my high school band. I did managed to pull someone to come along with me but she quitted after like the first or second practice. Good thing was the seniors were very welcoming - they made sure that there'll always be people sitting on my left and right during practises, which is a hard arrangement, considering the fact that I'm the first one in my batch that year to join their practises. And I left the band with more friends than I could've ever imagine.
Now, Dragonboat gives me a sense of déjà vu. None of the people I know is interested in it and on Saturday after the Experience, I had to travel back alone from Kallang (their on-water training base outside campus) to Boon Lay, which is 17 MRT stations away. Thank god for MRT.
While travelling alone, I was wondering if my parents could accept me doing this, as in travelling alone. For the past 18 years or so, they have never let me wander on the streets alone. Ok, I've never tried asking them if I could do so but I assume they'll say no anyway. Shopping mall, yes. Busy streets of KL, hell no. Overprotective parents, I know. But I really appreciate the way they are and have grown to love the protection. It's more like a privillege lah sometimes, with the chaffeuring that comes along the package.
I expect them blah blih blah about how I should follow the crowd or ask some seniors to bring me to the station but oh well, I think I'll skip that part when I skype with them the next time. Not knowing exactly where the nearest MRT station is, I did some walking and turning backs. At the same time, I actually felt like an adult (with a kiddy figure).
The other point is, joining Dragonboat and TP band is similar in many ways. First, to truly enjoy the activities, you have to be fully committed in the family. Each and everyone plays a role. That is something I find very exciting compared to, say, in an academic club where you're just a normal member and they can do well with or without you. It makes no difference.
Secondly, their training hours scare people off. The band, in the most extreme conditions, requires practices 3 days a week, at times totalling over 12 hours. Normal small-time clubs only require an average 2-hour meeting every week. The Dragonboat team has a total of 10 hours of practise a week, if I'm not wrong.
I'm still thinking if I'll be able to fully commit, just like what I did for the band.
Labels: The Educatee
posted by: JYLing @ 6:46 PM
+ + +
Loading...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home