Home

Second July


08 May 2008

NTU or somewhere else?

If it's hard for students with not so good results to choose where to go after pre-U, I can say it's almost as difficult for people with dozens of doors opened to them.


From Scotland


I applied to 9 universities, if not miscalculated (no poison Ivy League or any of that sort), and got 5 replies so far. 4 of them conditional and the other one being unconditional from Nanyang Technological University (NTU).


From somewhere in the UK

Yes it's hard to decide. Singapore seems to be a good place to study isn't it? Minus the fact that there would be a whole bunch of smart alecs as classmates, the price and location seems to be right. Besides being one of the top 3 business schools in Asia Pacific, the only business school in Singapore and one of the largest business schools in Asia (I'm referring to their brochure), their fresh grads reportedly achieved one of the highest paid starting salary around. In other words, don't go to NUS lah.


From Singapore

Today, I'll just focus on NTU cos they totally bought my heart at yesterday's pre-departure briefing at Ritz Carlton KL. Before this I was kinda skeptical bout studying in NTU:

a) A lot of smart people there. What I notice is instead of wearing thick glasses, they're fashionable enough to wear contacts now.

b) A 3-year business degree course with major in actuarial science is offered instead of just plain 3-year actuarial science. Which means, in the first year I'm suppose to study more of the basics of economics and accounting stuff, only in the second year do I get to major in whatever field I want. In simple English, they kinda cramp everything on actuarial science into a 2-year time period. That equals to more work and no time.

c) Have to take accounts =( I can assure you my KH kredit debit thingy is all screwed up.

e) Singapore has the same season as Malaysia. Hot, hot and triple hot.

d) Not much of a chance to mix with ang mohs



The lion's cute

So yesterday, they sent in two Malaysian students from NTU, one pursuing aerospace engineering (chun or not?) and the other is in business double majoring in IT and actuarial science! My lucky day. And it just so happens that she (yes she's a girl!) is an eloquent speaker, probably an ASEAN scholar, and has this Victoria Beckham-like bob. Sigh, totally blew me and my parents away with her impromptu speech. I can't believe she can pull off that cool bob while studying actuarial science and do IT at the same time okays. The aerospace fler normal looking only.



Business is what I got


After the briefing, there was this group of eager NTU grads-wannabe (me included) surrounding the double major girl and bombarded her with questions lah. Yours truly managed to slip in a few questions for her.

She assured me that the accounting modules will start from the basic of basics, quote: "form 3 level", apparently, no prior knowledge on economics is required to do well in it. I hope that applies to me. She herself did her A-levels in Singapore with 2 core sciences and economics.

Also, according to her, it's easy to meet the requirements to major in actuarial science and isn't as popular compared to the financing major. I hope the same for this year.

Moreover, the Singapore government is willing to invest in you to ensure that your tuition fee is taken care of! How sweet right? They offer tuition grant to everyone without first checking whether you have a bin or binti in the middle of your name or not lah.

With that grant, your fees will magically 'poof' from 5 figures to 4. Then, you can thank them by working in any Singapore registered companies for 3 years right after your graduation. What not to like you tell me?


Really?

Here, they drive students away with the university freaking quota and there you have people investing in you to study at their place. Hmm...makes you wonder if they're working hand-in-hand hor?

Labels: The Educatee

posted by: JYLing @ 6:10 PM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ + +

Categories

  • The Athelete
  • The Dark One
  • The Educatee
  • The Materialist
  • The Musician
  • The Oddball
  • The Snapper
  • The Sociable
  • The Taggee

Wander



Calendar

Loading...
 Loading...


Credits

+ Blogger.com
+ Simple-Blogskins

Murmurs

↑ Grab This Widget




© 2010 Second July